Building new cattle yards?
We have created four designs below, all designed for great cattle flow and making your animal handling easy.
These detailed yard plans are free to download and give you all the information you need to build them, including a parts list.
Points to note about out wooden cattle yard designs.
- Yard sizes are listed as working capacity, these designs have a holding capacity of double the working capacity
- Posts should be 2-2.5m apart and we recommend 1800mm high above ground.
- Rails should be 150x50 with a gap of 210mm
- Drenching races should be a maximum of 750mm wide
- Catwalks should be 500-600mm above ground
- Placing the entry gate against an existing fence makes it easy to get your cattle into the yard
It is important to make sure your yard is big enough for your requirements.
Here are some guidelines for pen sizes.
Animal size, kg
Cows & Calves
Holding pen area, m2
Forcing pen area m2